Monday 12 April 2010

breakfasting, including scrambled tofu

I really enjoy making breakfast! I like eating curry + roti canai, or making some mai fun, or scrambled tofu on toasts. We often have pancakes. We have even been known to have mushrooms and avocado.

We recently invited our friends Nix and dB over for breakfast and a spot of tea, as they had been away in England for a few weeks. I was worried that serving them something a bit English-breakfasty would be tiring and same-same for them, but I was reassured that breakfast in England only comes in one colour (grey), so anything I served would be very welcome.

Hooray!

scrambled tofu, homemade baked beans and homemade rosti

I love a good scrambled tofu, so I knew I'd be making that. I'd once previously made the cheater's baked beans from Vegan with a Vengeance, and remembered it as tasty, so straight into the oven went those. I remembered Cindy blogging about the hash browns from Vegan Brunch, so I thought I'd give that a go well. Combined with toast, it seemed a well-rounded breakfast!

The baked beans, as I had hoped, worked a treat. I kept them in a little long, so they ended up slightly burnt, but they were still very tasty, and I spied several breakfasters eating directly from the baking tray long after they had declared themselves full. The scrambled tofu was as it always was, ie, delicious (recipe at the end of this post - yes, after many weeks, finally, a recipe!). The hash browns left a bit to be desired. It wasn't that they were bad, they just weren't spectacular. It's also the first time I've tried making hash browns, so I'm still on the search for a good recipe!

zero japan "bee house" teapots

scrambled tofu

ingredients
600 grams of firm tofu, drained and slightly pressed (pressing is optional!)
half a red onion (diced, or sliced into thin rings)
half a punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
half a carrot, grated
half a cup (ish) nutritional yeast/savoury yeast flakes
five or six dashes of dark soy
1 or 2 fresh chillis, sliced
cumin and tumeric to taste (I use about half to one teaspoon of each)
some pepper

method
In a little bit of olive oil, fry the onion and the chillis on medium to high heat. As it starts to soften, add the cherry tomatoes and carrots, and keep frying until the tomatoes start to wilt. Add the tofu, and break it up to your preference (I prefer it to be completely broken up, but some people prefer to keep it in chunks). Add in the remaining ingredients, and leave to simmer for five to ten minutes. You may want to add more soy sauce (I often do).

Hooray! That's it! Serve and nom.

7 comments:

Vegan Tv Presenter said...

Crikey-wonder where they were getting their breakfasts from...

Johanna GGG said...

delish breakfast and I love how your tea pots add colour to the meal!

x said...

I really, really want that hot pink tea pot!

And the brekky looks delish, lucky friends :)

Theresa said...

I love your tea pots, and your cherry tomato in the fuscram. Cute! I made hashbrowns that looked like yours once, the potato turned really gray and they tasted only okay... if you find a good recipe, please share it!

Danni said...

@mandee: looks like you can buy them in Sydney

Cindy said...

What is going on with that hash brown colour?!

Did you use waxy potatoes? I think they're important for that recipe. Otherwise it's entirely possible that we just like different hash browns. :-)

steph said...

Cindy I did use waxy potatoes (at least, I think I did...they certainly felt like it when I grated them), but to save time in the morning I grated them the night before, which is why they changed colour. Who knew?! I don't know if that changed the flavour, but I'd be surprised to learn it did.