Wednesday 11 June 2008

easy biryani

biryani

I love this biryani, it's so simple and tasty and I walked down the road with a pot of it to serve to my friends, and it was perfect for a cold evening.

biryani

ingredients:
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 (or only 1/2) brown onion (sliced)
2 tsp garamasala (see note)
1 diced tomato
1 potato (diced small)
1 carrot (diced small)
1/2 cup water
capsicum (diced)

1 1/2 cups rice
cardamom
1/2 tsp chilli flakes or powder
1/4 tsp tumeric

method:

Fry the garlic and the onion until the onion is golden and soft, about five minutes. Add garamasala. Stir in tomatoes, potato, carrot and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about ten minutes. Add capsicum and any other vegetables as appropriate. Zucchini and broccoli are also very good in this.

Cook rice and spices separately, in usual fashion.

Combine the two together. I like to layer half the rice, then the vegetables, then the rest of the rice, but it's also nice to mix it all up.

I like to serve this with a rasam or a curry with a tomato-base.

NOTE: Often store bought garamasala is not gluten-free. To that end, I usually make my own garamasala, although I do also always have a jar of store-bought stuff on hand, for when I'm feeling lazy and not feeding coeliacs. Garamasala how-to will follow eventually.

No comments: