Thursday 11 February 2010

scrambled tofu

sauted mushrooms and scrambled tofu

I tried scrambled tofu for the first time just over a year ago, during a visit to Naked Espresso in NSW.

That was quite exciting for me, but I didn't eat it too often between then and the end of 2009. I tried the scramble at Tom Phat, and tried cooking it once or twice.

What really pushed me to cooking it at home, though, was receiving Vegan Brunch for Christmas. I tried the scrambled tofu with pesto, and that was pretty amazing, and since then I've been combining all sorts of similar things to get delicious tofu scrambles.

The pictured scramble features tomato pieces, pesto, and wilted spinach. Other current favourites include caramelised red onion with grated carrot, nutritional yeast flakes and turmeric; and caramelised brown onion with soy sauce.

7 comments:

Toby said...

mmm...pesto! Yum!

Johanna GGG said...

I love scrambled tofu - but never even tasted scrambled eggs so don't know how close it is to them - I just love how quick and easy it is and so open to many flavours - I have made a few tofu scrambles lately when I need a quick meal. Love the Tom Phat one but must look out vegan brunch

Anonymous said...

Ooh, caramelised onions and grated carrot sounds great! I am usually guilty of packing too many vegetables into my tofu scrambles, and simple is good.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried scrambled tofu, but that looks TASTY!

Hannah said...

Oooh, caramelised onions make everything better! Win!

steph said...

Caramelised onions DO make everything better! It's a great addition!

(also toby the pestoooo)

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

That looks incredible. We are definitely scrambled tofu fans and I will have to give that a go! We just cracked open Vegan Brunch, so this will definitely go on the list ;)