Tuesday 16 February 2010

pineapple tarts part three: the servening

In the end, these are the pineapple tarts I settled on for CNY. They are gluten-free, suitable for our gluten-free buddies. I think further tweaking is required - I want to try adding custard powder, and I'd love to try something using rice flour. But still, these turned out okay, and I love making and eating these kuih.

Some other people's (non-vegan) recipes: A Table for Two; Nyonya Food; The Little Teochew.

pineapple tarts in close up

gluten-free pineapple tarts

The GF flour means that these kuih go stale very quickly, so I have to make the pastry for these on the day I plan to serve them.

ingredients
half a dozen cloves
500g pineapple chunks (I used a 430g can)
200g (ish) sugar
1 aniseed star
1 tablespoon gf flour (or something starchy)

2 heaped cups gluten-free flour
4 teaspoons icing sugar
3 teaspoons soy flour
1 tablespoon cornflour (make sure this is gf! some are, some are not)
2 shakes of salt
220g nuttelex/margarine (cold)
2 chinese soup spoons of applesauce

5g applesauce
1 tablespoon soy milk


method

For the jam: Press out as much liquid as possible from the pineapple, and then in a saucepan, simmer with sugar, cloves and star anise for between half an hour and fifty minutes, until the pineapple has reduced. Squish some of the pineapple pieces if necessary. Stir in the gf flour, and remove from heat. Leave this to cool for up to a few days (though it is ready to use after a few hours).

For the entartening: Beat together the margarine with the apple sauce. Make sure that you work the margarine from cold, don't melt it or anything. Slowly add the flours, icing sugar, and salt, until just combined. Put in fridge to rest whilst you prepare the jam.

jam ready to go

Roll the jam out into little tubes, approx 1.5cm in length. It is easiest if you prepare the jam in this way, so you just pick it up and drop it in the pastry.

When I'm working with the pastry, if it's warm I like to keep an icepack under the mixing bowl, to keep it a bit cooler in my warm kitchen.

Tear off a small amount of the batter, this will vary depending on how moist it has ended up - it needs to be not too moist, but not too dry or it will fall apart and crack too much. Flatten the batter in the palm of your hand, until it is even and looks like it will wrap around a jam dollop. Drop that jam in, and roll the pastry around it. Make sure there are no gaps, or the jam will leak out when baking. Continue until all the batter or jam is used up.

ready to roll

Using a fork, carefully score the surface of the tarts. Combine the remaining apple sauce and milk, and brush on the top.

Bake for 18 minutes at 175C in a preheated oven.

bats!

8 comments:

Miss T said...

Thanks so much for hosting Steph and D! It was interesting to try CNY dishes (even if mine was very standard Malaysian!) and I confess that I had to unbutton my jeans on the way home (in the car. NOT ON THE TRAM!)
xMiss T

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

These look like such fun! I have to say, I love the comment above, always the sign of a satisfying meal :)

Cindy said...

I loved these! And I'm impressed with your commitment to perfecting this vegan and gluten-free version.

K said...

So yummy, i ate sooooooooooooooooooooooo many of them. What gluten free flour did you mix?

steph said...

Miss T - thank you for coming! I will confess the food we ate wasn't VERY traditional (except the yee sang and the gailan), but it was all super tasty!

Cassie, thanks!

Cindy, well, they were my favourites as a kid so I had to try!

Kristy, I have been polishing off the remainder and I looooove them. I used Orgran's for these, but I think next time I might use one of the other brands to see if that changes things.

Johanna GGG said...

I really enjoyed these - esp as I recognised them from your previous baking experiments so it was great to taste them and the jam tasted so good

Vicki said...

These were really tasty! Your jam was really nice too.

steph said...

Thanks Johanna, Thanks Vicki! I was really excited about the jam, perhaps a little too excited - I'd never made it before trying these experiments! And it was not difficult at all!