Wednesday 23 April 2008

lentil pie

I had some lentils on to soak, but dinner guests fell through, so I decided to get more adventuresome than just a tasty dahl.

Dahl Pie

lentil pie with sweet potato topping

I tend to be fairly non-specific with the lentils - I most often use a combination of red and brown, but other sorts are good, too.

ingredients:
one and a half cups of lentils
1 onion (chopped fine)
some ginger (minced)
clove of garlic (minced)
1 chilli (chopped)
3 tomatoes (diced)
2 cups vege stock
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon tumeric
2 sweet potatoes

method:

Soak the lentils for about six to eight hours, rinse and drain.

Fry the onion, garlic and ginger. After two or three minutes, add the chilli and spices. Add the tomatoes, fry, then add the lentils. Slowly add the stock about a half cup at a time, letting the stock soak in, simmering on low and stirring occasionally, for about twenty minutes. I liken this to cooking a risotto.

Cook and mash the sweet potatoes.

Divide lentil mixture into four ramekins. Add mash potato to top, ensuring that all of the lentils are covered. Bake at 180C for about ten minutes.


Total time: 50 minutes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummo! I'd really like to give it a try - but what kind of lentils did you use? Brown lentils?

CG

steph said...

I used half red and half brown, though I think all brown might work better.