Sunday 20 June 2010

coconut and jam slice

Coconut and jam slice is apparently an Australian Classic, but until I made it, I'd never eaten it. I couldn't find any vegans online saying they'd made it, and it seemed like such an odd recipe regardless, with a topping made entirely of eggs and coconut and sugar, but I was fascinated by the idea of it, and decided to give it a go anyway.

jam coconut slice

This was my first try, and it was brilliant. When I pulled it out of the oven, I wasn't sure I'd done it right - the top was a sea of jam and coconut and apple sauce - but after it cooled and I sliced it, I bit into it and it was amazing.

I've made it twice since then, both times gluten free: once for Miss T's birthday party, and on this recent Melbourne public holiday for afternoon tea with the Melbourne.Squids.

The bottom is a coconut cakey layer, followed by a thick spreading of jam and the soft, crunchy coconut layer on top.

jam coconut slice

coconut and jam slice
This was modified from here.

ingredients
150g self-raising flour (this has to be gluten-free SR flour if you're making if GF, but it is a straight substitution and works just fine)
180g caster sugar
40g nuttelex
3 chinese soup spoons of apple sauce
heaps of jam
130g desiccated coconut

method
Line a baking tray with baking paper. The tray should be about A4 size, though I used a slightly smaller square this time.

Combine the flour with half of the caster sugar; then rub in the nuttelex until crumbly. Continue using hands to combine two spoons of apple sauce, then about 30g of the desiccated coconut.

Press the dough evenly into the tray. Then smear the jam over it. I made my jam about 1-2 millimetres in height, but you go for what makes you happy. Make sure it's spread all the way across to the edges.

Beat together the remaining ingredients (coconut, apple sauce, caster sugar). Distribute over the base + jam carefully, because you don't want to move the jam or anything.

Bake at 170C (not fanforced) for about 30 minutes (I think I did 31). The top will be quite golden and crunchy. Don't put the tray on the top rack - you want it to cook kind of slowly, so keep it closer to the bottom/in the cooler part of your oven, if it has one.

9 comments:

lisa said...

Will make this - it was yummo!

Johanna GGG said...

a friend of mine calls it matrimonal slice - I guess the topping is a bit like macaroons so if you have vegan macaroon recipes they might give other ideas - but I like your simplicity and I love crispy coconut toppings

vegiebug said...

oh yum! this is such a quintessential australian dish! i have a super simple recipe of it in a book I've had since I was a little kid and i always remember it being so sweet but delicious. i will have to give your recipe a go :D

K said...

Looks great! Such a shame that I missed out, damn flu.

steph said...

@lisa - thanks!

@johanna - why matrimonial slice?

@vegiebug - see, i knew someone would tell me it was a classic!

@kristy - i did try to hand deliver them to you! they were especially made for you! but i'll make some more to you soon <3

x said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum! This is the sort of thing I loved to eat as a kid but I have never tried making it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

And the potato pancakes I made are from the new cookbook, Viva Vegan! Would you like the recipe?

steph said...

@Mandee, no worries! And I would love the recipe, yes please! :o)

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's matrimonial slice. No idea on how the name developed, but my mum used to make it when I was little - it was a buttery biscuit coconut base, then a jam layer, then the base sprinkled on the top, with more coconut

- An aussie ;)

Vegan ange said...

This recipe ROCKS! I just made it and it doesnt need eggwhites on top, fantastic! Never thought that apple puree would be so useful. Whipped up a container with my thermomix.