Thursday 19 November 2009

cinnamon tea cake

OH YEAH DELICIOUSNESS.

This tea cake was really light and fluffy, and it had (has) a perfect cinnamon flavour, I baked it yesterday because D wasn't feeling very great and it was perfect. I am going to make this all the time. Maybe I'll have a tea party.

cinnamon teacake

cinnamon tea cake

I'd never made tea cake before yesterday, so I modified a recipe from taste.com.au. I love that website.

ingredients
100g nuttelex
three quarters of a cup of caster sugar
half a tablespoon of vanilla essence
one and a half cups of SR flour
one quarter cup of plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 heaped (chinese soup)spoons of apple sauce
1 tbl ground cinnamon
half a cup of milk

topping:
1 tbl caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbl melted nuttelex


method
Cream together nuttelex, caster sugar, and vanilla essence. Slowly add apple sauce, and beat well. Sift flours, cinnamon, and baking powder together. Mix in to the nuttelex mixture, alternating with the milk.

In a round tin (greased), bake covered for 45 minutes, at 170C, then uncovered for 15 minutes. Leave to sit in the oven for five minutes, then remove from oven and let cool in tin for fifteen minutes. Remove from tin, and pour topping over the top.

Cool completely and serve.

6 comments:

Ricki said...

Looks lovely! I bet this would be great with a steaming cup of tea in the afternoon. I'm not familiar with nuttelex, though--what is it? Any subs you can think of?

steph said...

Ricki, Nuttelex is the vegan margarine in Australia. So Earth Balance would be my guess!

Anonymous said...

zomg. that loooooksss sooo yummy. what kind of camera do you have steph?

Danni said...

@carla: Canon EOS 450D.

This photograph was taken with a 430EXII shoe-mounted flash, pointed upwards, with a translucent diffuser on it.

Johanna GGG said...

I love tea cake but I always love it warm (though could probably eat it cold in this weather) - my mum used to make a thin icing to pour over it - I still dream of finding the recipe for her one but I love this one meanwhile - and love your chinese soup spoons measurement!

Vicki said...

Yum! Tea cake reminds me of home eco in high school because I we used to make lots of tea cakes then.