Tuesday 20 September 2011

chocolate caramel slice

For the Planet VegMel Picnic (more on the picnic later) I made chocolate caramel slice, originally seen on Johanna's blog. I had quite a different experience than Johanna. She worried that the base was too crumbly, that she might have overcooked the milk because it didn't look right, and too liquidy a chocolate layer. I on the other hand had a lovely time. The base pressed in quite well, and I've never used condensed milk of either the dairy or soy variety previously, so had no idea if it was working and just went with it; and the chocolate was a perfect consistency. And it turned out well! Very crunchy, and the base was a bit high (I used a 20x20cm tin instead of 20x30, and that was a mistake), but overall it was an easy and delicious experience. And at the end of the picnic there was only one lonely piece of slice left!

I also made this gluten free, with a direct substitution of Orgran's GF flour for the flour in Johanna's recipe. I didn't even add extra liquid the way I usually would with a GF conversion, and it turned out just fine.

This is a picnic submission for that recipe seems very familiar...

caramel chocolate slice


chocolate caramel slice
originally at Green Gourmet Giraffe

base
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
quarter of a container of nuttelex (125ish grams)
1 cup GF flour

caramel layer
330g soy condensed milk (or 1 tin)
2 tablespoons or so of golden syrup (I didn't measure, just squeezed the tube until I got bored of squeezing)
30g nuttelex

chocolate topping
150g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Base: mix all the ingredients and press into a lined tin. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes.

While the base is in the oven, in a small saucepan over a lowish medium heat, constantly stir all of the caramel ingredients until it has thickened and is a light golden brown. Hopefully the base will be ready just as the caramel is, because then you can pull it out, spread the caramel over it, and shove it back in the oven. At the same 180C temperature, bake for 10 or so minutes until it's a deep golden brown. Mine went very brown, but it wasn't burnt and it was all okay. Set this aside to cool and go about your business.

When it's cool, melt the chocolate and mix in the oil. Spread it over the caramel layer, and leave it in the fridge to set. I left mine over night. I then brought it to room temperature before cutting.

Cut it small because it's quite sweet!

10 comments:

K said...

I cant believe how easy it was to veganise it and make it gf, was so so so yummy!

steph said...

It was really easy! And aside from stirring the caramel, not labour intensive at all.

Hannah said...

Oh! I splurged on a can of soy condensed milk last year specifically for the purpose of veganising chocolate caramel slice. I then stored it somewhere stupid and only found it again last month, and it was super expired :( I'm so glad to know this works, though! I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for the soy condensed milk again :)

Cindy said...

This was a triumph, Steph, A TRIUMPH.

Elisa said...

Yum!! Looks delicious.

Mel said...

I enjoyed your slice and I don't usually like caramel flavours that much. It was lovely day and great to meet you.

Vicki said...

This was delicious!!

Johanna GGG said...

this was fantastic - now I have been asked to make it again and I found some soy condensed milk today - loved the chewy bottom layer on this - though if you baked it in a 20 x 30 might the caramel be spread a bit thinly - I still wonder if it should be more caramel to the base ratio!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yum! Those look so delicious.

Spencer said...

Looks wonderful! Any chance of sending some to me at the Sunshine Coast? Lol!