Monday 7 February 2011

My Very First Quiche

my very first quiche


I've never made quiche before, and this was my first attempt. It was amazing. Try it - you won't regret it.

my very first quiche
inspired by Eat More Vegies

ingredients
1 cup chickpea flour
1 and a half cups of water
olive oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
small amount of dried basil
handful fresh basil
2 tomatoes, sliced thinly
quarter of a red onion, diced tiny
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
some vegan parmesan, if you have it (totally optional)

method
Grease a tray, and line it with baking paper. The tray I used was square and about 20x20cm. Press the puff pastry in to the tray, prick it with a fork once or twice, and in a preheated oven bake for 10 minutes at 220C.

Beat together the flour, water, oil, nutritional yeast and dried basil, as well as a little salt and pepper if that takes your fancy. Pour a little bit of this mix in to bottom of the puff pastry. Throw in (or layer in, as it takes your fancy) some of the onion and tomato, then pour in the rest of the batter. Set out the remaining onion and tomato on top, as well as the fresh basil leaves.

If you have any vegan parmesan, sprinkle this on the top.

Bake for about 40 minutes, until it's golden and quiche-like.

AMAZING.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Yum! Chickpea flour can do awesome things. I need to use it more.

Hannah said...

And what a quiche it is! Gah, I just bought coconut flour this morning, but now I wish I'd got chickpea flour instead...

Rachel said...

yummo. i've been meaning to do a chickpea flour omelette, so I'll have to give this ago.

steph said...

Cindy I am really starting to get in to chickpea flour, but yeah I also need to use it more!

Hannah, it doesn't need to be 'instead' it can be 'as well as' :o)

Rachel, oh, do the besan omelette and tell me how it goes! I've had no success with tofu omelettes so I'd be interested to know!

Vanessa said...

Amazing, Steph! Thanks for this recipe - I have some besan flour in the cupboard and have been meaning to try out a vegan quiche! (I have some home-made oven-dried tomatoes in oil that probably would go well with this recipe? Or maybe chopped olives? I guess you could pretty much put in whatever you like....) xx

Vanessa said...

Steph, I made this tonight and it was AMAZING!!! Thanks for the recipe. I put spring onions, tomato and spinach into the quiche and served it with vegan potato salad, lettuce and tomato. Even my meat-eating dad scraped the plate clean! This is such a cool basic recipe to have, and I can see myself making a quiche everytime I have leftover bbq or roast veggies to use up. Thank you!

steph said...

Vanessa, yay! I'm glad it worked out for you!