Monday 26 October 2009

chocolate hedgehogs

Near where I lived when I was in high school, there was a bakery (incidentally, owned by the parents of a primary school enemy). Their lamingtons were giant and soft, with just the right amount of coconut and chocolate sauce. Somedays, the chocolate lamingtons even had chocolate sponge instead of vanilla, and they were the best. We used to stop in at this bakery a couple of times a week, sometimes before school, sometimes after school, and we'd always leave with a treat.

Although their lamingtons were the best, sometimes I couldn't go past a good chocolate hedgehog, and the hedgehogs there were also pretty amazing. Crisp and biscuity, but sweet and completely chocolate, they were amazing.

It's been a few years since I last had a chocolate hedgehog, but last week I was in Safeway and was loitering in the biscuit aisle with SJ and discovered that Arnott's Nice biscuits are vegan! So I decided to give chocolate hedgehogs a go.

hedgehog slice

Chocolate Hedgehogs

Although chocolate hedgehogs are usually served in large slices of about 7x7cm, these are very sweet, so you may prefer to cut them a bit smaller.

ingredients
200 grams (or most of a pack) of Nice biscuits (or similar)
1(ish) cup of walnuts (chopped roughly)
half a cup of sultanas
200 grams Nuttelex (or other vegan margarine)
2 tablespoons of cocoa
half a cup of raw sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
3 chinese soup spoons of apple sauce
200 grams dark chocolate (chopped)
1 teaspoon golden syrup

method
Melt the chocolate in a pot over water (not directly over heat). As it starts to melt, add in the Nuttelex, sugar, vanilla essence, and cocoa.

In the meantime, crush the biscuits somewhat randomly. Ensure that there are some large pieces (about fingernail size), and some very small pieces (ie crumbs of biscuit). Mix in the sultanas and the chopped walnuts to this.

When the chocolate mixture has melted, stir in golden syrup, then remove from heat. Beat through the apple sauce. Pour into dry ingredients, and combine well.

Into a lined tray, pour this delicious, chocolatey mixture. Flatten a little with your spoon to help it combine, then put it in the fridge to set, for at least a few hours.

Slice and serve.

12 comments:

Vicki said...

How did they turn out? I love hedgehogs - they definitely remind me of my childhood!

Anonymous said...

yummm steph they look awesome! I might make these this weekend!

steph said...

Vicki they turned out great - just need to eat small squares, because they're REALLY sweet.

Carla - they're super easy too! :o) But don't bake too much, we've got Abbotsford on Sunday!

Theresa said...

Funny, when I was in high school there was an amazing bakery in town (the only one) owned by a primary school enemy. I used to go and hope she wasn't there, but I couldn't stay away! The power of cinnamon buns was too strong.

Your hedgehog looks really great and so chocolatey delicious!

Johanna GGG said...

I love hedgehog and this looks delicious - but I get annoyed at how big some of the servings are in shops - we never had them that big when my mum made them when we were young!

daphne said...

ooo.. What a good chocolate hit that must be! Nice biscuits and chocolate will go so well. I didnt know there is vegan spread!

off to check out some of the perth events u spoke abt in your previous post!

Vaala ◪ said...

Ooo, they look delicious! Don't think I've ever had a chocolate hedgehog before but I love the sound of them...

Rachel said...

Yummo!! I love hedgehogs, definately trying this

Cindy said...

Nice indeed! These were a childhood favourite of mine, too.

steph said...

Ahaha, Theresa, it's funny how ridiculous these things are, right? Primary school enemies, I sort of miss them :o)

Johanna, my mum never made them, so I used to LOVE the big hedgehogs! I wasn't very good at sweet foods though, so I used to eat half at recess and then save the other half for later.

Thanks Daphne!

steph said...

Vaala, chocolate hedgehogs are great! Fabulous chocolate snack.

Let me know how it goes, Rachel!

Thanks Cindy! :o)

Victor said...

OMG! Yum, Steph. You have to make some dessert for me. Looks so good and rich.