Thursday 20 August 2009

movie: the age of stupid

This post is not about food! Well, in a round about way it is, but not really.

One of the reasons why I became a dedicated and passionate eater of no meat was because of my work in and concern about sustainability and climate change. I can link to figures and facts if you like (just ask),* but I'm sure most people reading this blog already know them, or know of them. The contribution of the meat production process to climate change is so significant, in its disproportionate water use, energy use and land use, that it's just so important to consider in personal change.

Anyway, there's this movie that just came out in Australia yesterday. It was filmed on the tiniest budget, the crew earned literally survival wages, and they've no budget for advertising or anything. I thought it was only screening for two days, but it appears to be screening for a week in some places (certainly in Carousel and Garden City in Perth it's screening until next week), so I'd like to take this opportunity to briefly pimp it here.

The Age of Stupid is a movie/documentary/post-apocalyptic thing featuring Pete Postlethwaite as an old man living in the devastated world of 2055, looking back on documentary footage of 2008 and wondering why we didn't stop climate change when we had a chance. It touches on less meat for about half a second, and is more focused on bigger things, community groups and corporations, but I still think it is worth the watch. I've been feeling complacent, lately, in my little bubble. I mean, sustainability and climate change is what I do. So I'm doing enough, right? But this was a well-timed push up the bum, just as I'm about to start a new job.

The trailer can be watched on youtube.

Go see it! After Australia I understand it will be moving on to other countries, so you can see it even if you're not in Australia. Or, if you have seen it, let me know what you thought!








*here are my favourites:
* To produce one kilogram of oven dry wheat grain, it takes 715 – 750 litres of water
* For 1 kg maize, 540 – 630 litres
* For 1 kg soybeans, 1650 – 2200 litres
* For 1 kg paddy rice, 1550 litres
* For 1 kg beef, 50,000 – 100,000 litres
* For 1 kg clean wool, 170,000 litres
from the CSIRO

5 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

love your t-shirt

i didn't go vegetarian for environmental reasons but once I did become veg and read about them I was so glad to be veg - in fact I think it is a shame that the population aren't told to eat less meat (if not go vegetarian or vegan) for environmental reasons if nothing else because it has such an impact.

good luck with new job

Theresa said...

Those stats are great, I may just snag them to put in my side bar, if you don't mind!

I wonder if that movie is playing in Townsville....

Amy said...

I want to steal your t-shirt!!

I too didn't initially go veggie for environmental reasons, but I did discover those reasons afterward and they have become just as important to me.

Best of luck with the new job.

Vaishali said...

That sounds like an interesting movie. I'm going to keep an eye out for it when it arrives here!

steph said...

Johanna, Vegetation, the t-shirt is actually from K-Mart! I bought it about twelve months ago.

Theresa, those are my favourite stats!