Monday 21 December 2009

thai(ish) red curry

I am very fond of curries, it is one of the first things people learn about me. I have many old staples, things I make all the time, but I love discovering new and delicious curries. This recipe was an attempt at a Thai red curry - it is good, slightly coconutty and quite delicious, but it is not exactly what I was going for, and so the experimentations continue. Don't get me wrong though, I will definitely make this again.

spices in the mortar

red curry paste
2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
2 shallots
a handful of coriander leaves
1 tablespoon lemongrass (middle fleshy bit)
2 red chillis
1 garlic clove
1 small piece galangal
5 or 6 lime kaffir leaves
half a teaspoon of salt.

Crush the lime kaffir leaves. Soak the chilli flakes and the lime kaffir leaves in a tiny amount of hot water, just enough to cover them. Leave for ten minutes. In the meantime, roast the coriander and the cumin until fragrant. Pound together all of the ingredients.

simmering in the pot

red curry
3 cups coconut milk
2 tablespoons of grated palm sugar
quarter cup of light soy sauce
6 lime kaffir leaves
1 small length of lemongrass (middle fleshy bit)
1 cup vegetable stock
a whole lot of vegetables (I like to use carrots, brocolli, capsicum and bamboo, and maybe some snow peas)
handful of tofu puffs, sliced into small squares.
large handful of Thai basil leaves

Dry fry the curry paste, then as it begins to smell delicious (only a minute or two), add a little bit of oil, then toss through the harder vegetables (such as carrots and capsicum, bamboo, or potato), and coat well. Add the coconut milk and lemongrass, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for five or six minutes, covered.

Add palm sugar, soy sauce, lime kaffir leaves, vegie stock, and any appropriate vegies such as brocolli. Simmer for another ten minutes, covered. By this time all the vegies should be tender or just tender. Add the snow peas, and simmer uncovered for five minutes. Stir through the basil (and bean shoots if you're using), and let sit for five minutes, before serving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BrisVegan said...

That looks so good. Now I might have to make curry for dinner tonight.

Try the vegan shrimp paste from the Cruelty Free Shop for this kind of thing. I found that it was what was missing from my Thai cooking, after I bought some. I have put the open package in the freezer and it is lasting forever.

Matt said...

definitely going to try this recipe. was it very spicy? my +1 doesn't handle the chili very well - but i'm working on it by adding a little to our meals without telling :)

also did you put the tofu in right at the end with the basil? or with the broccoli?

steph said...

Ooh, thanks BrisVegan, I will give it a go!

Matt, this recipe wasn't very spicy - I recommend deseeding the chillis, though, if your +1 doesn't do spicy very well.

I added the tofu at the same time as the broccoli - I'll edit that in! :o)