Tuesday 15 December 2009

capsicum soup

Whilst Zanchey and Sheebaface were in town, aside from taking a week off work I tried not to let it completely mess up my schedule. So I still did my FOE shift, and one night I went to class as usual. Sheeba went to Camy's for dinner with an old school friend, and I left D and Zanchey with instructions to provide dinner.

capsicum soup

Zanchey volunteered, and produced this delicious, full-bodied capsicum soup. The flavour of the capsicum was not over-powering, it was underpinned by the zucchini and very tasty.

Capsicum Soup, taken from 200 One Pot Meals, cooked by Zanchey

ingredients
2 onions (finely chopped)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 red capsicums, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 zucchinis, finely chopped
900mL of vegetable stock or water
salt and pepper
garnish: chopped chives

method
Brown the onions in the oil; add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the capsicum and half the zucchini and fry for 5-8 minutes (or until soft and brown).

Add the stock to the pan with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

When the vegetables are tender, blend the mixture in batches to a smooth soup, and then return to the pan.

Season to taste, reheat and serve topped with the remaining zucchini and garnish with chopped chives. Don't prepare the garnishes too early! Otherwise the zucchini dries out :o(

Good hot or cold. Serves 4.

4 comments:

blessedmama said...

Hi, I'm at your blog for the first time, and I really like it. Colorful, delicious food. I have one question for you - what is a capsicum? Here in California, USA, I have no idea what that is. Is that indigenous to Australia?

steph said...

Hi blessed mama - capsicum is the term we use for (I think) bell pepper. I'm not 100% sure it's the same thing, but if you quickly google you can confirm it. :o)

s-j said...

Wow - I would never think of capi soup but it looks delicious!

steph said...

sj, I am not a HUGE fan of capsicum, but this was freaking awesome!