Thursday 14 April 2011

kind of like a kapitan curry thing

For ages I had planned to make this curry. A friend modified her step-mother's fish curry so that it was vegan, especially for me, and it was simple and tasty and filled with familiar delicious flavours. So this recipe sat in my inbox for months and months, and finally last week I went to make it...and every where I went I could only find mock fish with whey in it. Even brands that were previously vegan contained whey.

Too lazy to look up any other recipes for new curries, I amalgamated this instead with what I had in the house and in my head (which is like an ode to curries).


mock chicken curry and the greatest soy milk ever


kind of like a kapitan only not really

200gm mock chicken pieces
1cm knob ginger, minced
1 clove minced ginger
half of a brown onion, sliced finely
a whole lot of curry powder* (I didn't measure, but about 1 and a bit tablespoons)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon tumeric
half a teaspoon garamasala
a dash or three of ground coriander
1 large tomato, diced
small handful of snake beans, ends off and halved
some curry leaves
a couple of lime kaffir leaves
400mlish coconut milk
a cup or two of water


*so here is the thing about curry powder: sometimes people refer to it as 'inauthentic.' This is a smokescreen! Curry powder comes from the curry leaf. You should never use it as the only spice in a curry, but it is a perfectly cromulent addition to your curry along with many other ingredients! Unless you would like to tell my mother that she is inauthentically Malaysian Chinese. That would be amazing.


method:
In some oil, fry the onions over a medium heat until they are soft and translucent (about ten minutes), then add the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Then throw in the curry powder, cumin, tumeric, and garamasala, mix it all together, then throw in a little bit of the water. Let it simmer for a few minutes so it all mixes through and renders down, then throw in the mock chicken pieces. Let these fry in the spices until well coated, then add the tomatoes and the rest of the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered for fifteen to twenty minutes. Or even longer, if you like. After this, add in the snake beans, curry leaves and lime kaffir leaves, and leave to simmer for another ten. Then add the coconut milk, simmer another five, and it is ready to go!

5 comments:

Mel said...

This sounds great and something I want to try! Is there a specific brand of curry powder you use for Malaysian curries? I read that the Baba brand is good so I picked up a packet from my asian grocer and have been loving it! Do you know of it? Or is there something even better out there???

Demoptolemus said...

Can you suggest somewhere to get mock chicken? I've not seen it in Coles or IGA, but it shows up in heaps of vegan recipes I want to try :-)

steph said...

Mel I actually have no idea what brand I use! It's one I pick up when I'm in Perth from my mother's grocer and I recognise it by the packet! I am in Perth next week, I will check out what it is called and report back.

Demoptolemus, I usually buy mine from my local Chinese or SEAsian grocer! Most of them have at least one or two brands in their freezer section.

Cindy said...

Curry and cromulence! This post made my night. :-)

Mel said...

Thanks Steph! I'm very interested to know. Malaysian curries are so nice...