Wednesday 17 December 2008

(white) chocolate and jam cupcakes

D was off to the cricket today, and I wanted to bake some cupcakes for an in-the-stand snack. I was considering something from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, but every recipe I picked contained some ingredient that I didn't have. So I made this up instead. It was super delicious, the jam starts to sink in, and I have been told D's mum was sad that she only got two!

(white) chocolate and jam cupcakes

(White) Chocolate and Jam Cupcakes

ingredients
2 cups white self-raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
100 gm melted nuttelex
4 chinese soup spoons of apple sauce
1 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons jam
1 cup white chocolate bits
extra jam, to top

method
Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder. Mix in vanilla essence, nuttelex and apple sauce. Slowly mix in soy milk, until the batter is thick. Add a little more soy milk if the batter seems too thick. Mix in the jam and the white chocolate bits. Grease cupcake pan, and divide equally in to twelve cupcake moulds. Drop half a teaspoon of jam on to the top of each cupcake.

Bake 180C for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sound phenomenal. And yay!--finally a use for my Chinese soup spoons! ;)

Amy said...

Mmmm chocolate, white chips and jam? Perfect!

Anonymous said...

it sounds great! lovely blog!

steph said...

ricki, would you like some more suggestions for your chinese soup spoons? ;o)

vegetation, it was a really great combination. i didn't expect it to work out quite so well!

ŀĀŘ¡ŝ∫Á, thanks for dropping by and commenting! and for liking my blog :o)

Eloise said...

I agree about all the crazy ingredients in VCTOTW... it's the main reason I've never bought my own copy. I'm more into just taking a normal recipe and substituting ingredients.

Anyway, my partner and I both live in Perth, so I've been taking on your dining advice for some months now. Little Chutney's for breakfast was amazing!

Eloise

steph said...

Hi Eloise! My big problem with VCTOTW (and also with Veganomicon) is that it's just so US-centric. It makes finding ingredients, and in fact working out what they are in the first place, really difficult! It makes me just want to bake something with wattleseed or something.

Glad you're getting some use out of my restaurant reviews! I have one or two more in the hand to write, hopefully I'll have time to do that soon!